Gallery of infill types: The term half-timbering is not as old as the German name Fachwerk or the French name colombage, but it is the standard English name for this style.
One of the first people to publish the term "half-timbered" was Mary Martha Sherwood (1775–1851), who employed it in her book, The Lady of the Manor, published in several volumes from 1823 to 1829.
Brick infill sometimes called nogging became the standard infill after the manufacturing of bricks made them more available and less expensive.
Half-timbered walls may be covered by siding materials including plaster, weatherboarding, tiles, or slate shingles. When left exposed, both the framing and infill were sometimes done in a decorative manner.
The distinction presented here is the roof load is carried by the exterior walls. More than 4,000 cruck frame buildings have been recorded in the UK.
These interior posts typically carry more structural load than the posts in the exterior walls.
The most ancient known half-timbered building is called the House of opus craticum.
It was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD in Herculaneum, Italy.
Timber framing and "post-and-beam" construction are traditional methods of building with heavy timbers, creating structures using squared-off and carefully fitted and joined timbers with joints secured by large wooden pegs.
It is commonplace in wooden buildings from the 19th century and earlier.